AKSWard is a Structural and Civil Engineering & Building Surveying Consultancy with offices across the South of England. It provides design and advice services to the Construction Industry producing designs and reports that are typically issued electronically its carbon generation is predominantly through activities within its offices and travel to construction sites.
Through our own research and study, we have established that we can best achieve reductions in carbon generation through our design activities by carefully selecting a specifying materials and products. The savings we can achieve through design activities far exceed anything we do in performance of our day-to-day activities.
In carrying out our duties we subscribe to the Institution of Structural Engineers guidance of ‘Build nothing, build less, build clever’.
Notwithstanding the above we recognise we need to make every effort across all our activities, including performance of our duties, to reduce our carbon generation.
AKSWard is committed to achieving Net Zero emissions by 2040.
Emissions reduction targets
In order to continue our progress to achieving Net Zero, we have adopted the following carbon
- Reduction in electricity use through:
– ensuring all equipment is turned off when not in use
– turning off all lights in unoccupied rooms
– at end of life, replacing equipment with low energy equivalents
- Reduction in paper use through:
– encouraging the use of electronic reading and marking-up aids rather than printing
– re-use of paper before disposal
- Reductions in Business Travel emissions through:
– increasing the use, where appropriate and feasible, of Public Transport, walking or cycling (the latter encouraged by the use of our Cycle to work scheme.)
– maintaining & increasing the use of videoconferencing.
We project that carbon emissions will decrease to 24.75 tCO2e by 2025. This is a reduction of 25% below the baseline which falls in line with our overall target for Net Zero in 2040.