The whole site was developed based on the 1896 plans of Sir Aston Webb and is listed Grade 2*. The elegant design uses the local Southwater bricks with Stoke Ground windows and Portland Stone weather dressings. The site is founded on a bed of Horsham sandstone at about 4 metres below ground and allows an interconnected series of tunnels for services to the buildings.
We have been advising on the foundation since 1995 on numerous aspects of the buildings across the whole site but of particular note are:
- Taking down and rebuilding the two 17m x 6m x 2m bay windows to Dining Hall.
- Removal of cast iron tanks and restoration of 45m high water tower including a new flagpole.
- Remedial works to service tunnels including new lids
- Refurbishment of 16 Boarding Houses
- Provision of new foul and surface water drainage
- Restoration of Chapel
- Investigation in defects in Grecians Houses
- Restoration of Library
- Refurbishment of kitchen serving 3000 meals per day.